Total Viewers

Monday, April 30, 2012

Curbing Those Evening Cravings

About 2PM every day I start craving carbohydrates.  My body kicks into full blown hunger mode if I don’t curb the obsession. 

Mornings are no problem at all, so occasionally I skip some of my 6 meal routine and think I am doing so well to lower my calories intake.  But it backfires when the craving hit and I go hunting for my favorite treats, all being extremely unhealthy, with loads of calories and very little nutritional value. 

You just can’t outsmart the glycemic-balanced food programs by either one-upping (starvation) or cheating “a bit” by sneaking in a little of your “old” food.

Having now lost 50 of the 80 pounds on the Take-Shape-for-Life nutritional program, I have learned how my body works for or against me. 

Here’s what I do to control the cravings: 

 1)      Eat six meals glycemic-balanced meals on schedule, so blood sugar stays even throughout the entire day.   

 2)      Have someone hide all the “trigger” foods that start a binge. 

 3)      Stay away from all fast food establishments or perhaps I should say traps. 

 4)      Don’t hang around the kitchen area while food is being prepared. 

 5)      Drink plenty of water or crystal light if you need some flavor. 

 6)      Weigh yourself daily on a scale that records 1/10th of a pound so you know every day if you are progressing or falling back.

 7)      Set up all of your meals in the morning so you know what you will eat all day.

 8)      Exercise 5-6 days per week by walking 10,000 steps or the equivalent.  The endorphins will improve your mood which will make it easier to stay on track by not getting discouraged. 

 9)      Have friends or a weight-loss coach who you “report” your weight to at least weekly. 

 10)   Get excellent and doctor approved nutritional program material to study so you understand the science behind the diet and exercise routine you are on.   

Most days this works perfectly for me but I do fall off the wagon once in awhile.  Overall I have been able to lose weight pretty consistently for the past 7 months.  Controlling the cravings has been an important part of that success, eating the right food at the right time each day.  It has been a hoot watching my body reshape itself. 

My health has improved dramatically.  Yay for TSFL.     

Here's a link to my food program website if you would like more information:

http://weightlosspowerusers.com/content/video-testimonials 

1 comment:

  1. All great tips Ralph. Those evening cravings usually hit if I'm tired. I can weather the little supposed hunger pangs if I'm not tired. Sometimes I think what we may think are hunger pangs are really stomach acid rolling around and if I drink water they will go away. When I am, the sugar frenzy hits, but I am trying to substitute fresh fruit for the sugar, and it works!
    Now if I could just get my mother-in-law to quit pushing sweets on me 3 times a day, eek! My will power is struggling right now as I have plantar fasciitis and my lower back went out so I can't exercise and with the pain comes fatigue.

    ReplyDelete